The Art of Napping

Napping CupThere are very few things in this world that I would stand up and confidently say that I am good at. This is for many reasons. One, I am not a boastful person and two because…well because there really aren’t that many things that I would say I am an expert in.

I’m pretty good when it comes to English Literature. I know my stuff when analysing a text.

I am boss at reading. I know this kind of ties in with my last statement but it is true all the same.

The thing in which I excel the most though is napping.

I am an excellent napper.

I can fall asleep anytime or place. I fall asleep when I travel – I’ve slept on most modes of transport: car, bus, train, boat and plane.

I once fell asleep in a busy noisy theatre. Embarrassingly, I woke myself up by snoring – something I am convinced that I don’t do but my boyfriend tells me I am wrong and that I do. I prefer to think of it as breathing with enthusiasm.

I can also nap up to 3 times a day (If people will let me). I think in a past life I may have been a koala.

I have retained my amateur status so I can nap in the Olympics.

All joking aside, I nap because of the fatigue. At the moment, I feel that napping and cups of tea are the only thing that helps. Obviously not at the same time…that would be ridiculous.

Any tips on getting more energy would be greatly appreciated.

I’ll read them after my nap…

L x

12 Comments

1. 6th January 2016 / 8:50 pm

I fell asleep once in a nightclub! Lol! Enjoy your nap.x

• 6th January 2016 / 9:09 pm

Oh that is just brilliant. I definitely haven’t fallen asleep in a nightclub but that is up there with amazing places to fall asleep. That takes skill 🙂 x x

• 6th January 2016 / 9:20 pm

Lol! I was soooooooo tired. ☺

2. 6th January 2016 / 8:53 pm

Naps and tea are two of my favorite things! I enjoyed reading this short and funny post.

• 6th January 2016 / 9:09 pm

If you enjoyed this you should read the post about biscuits. I love tea and biscuits x x

3. 6th January 2016 / 9:57 pm

Obviously everyone should check with their doctor before making significant dietary changes, but…

It turns out that the gluten molecule (in wheat) has been modified to such an extent that nowadays it has numerous antigenic sites capable of causing neurologic symptoms without the usual gastrointestinal component (i.e. gluten sensitive enteropathy or sprue). Some physicians say that 30% of their patients test positive for one of the many antibodies to gluten. I like the book, “Grain Brain,” by Perlmutter, MD, on this subject.

I gotten off gluten (without doing any testing), reduced my carbohydrates and increased my saturated fat intake, and feel quite a bit more energetic and clear-headed. Improved mood, too. I’ve also gotten off caffeine which decreased my anxiety. But two days ago I decided to start drinking decaf coffee again because of the decreased incidence of Alzheimer’s associated with regular coffee. Hopefully the decaf aspect won’t extinguish this association. Incidentally, I lost about 15 pounds in the process of following the “Grain Brain” guidlines, without feeling hungry or even trying or noticing I was losing weight.

I hope this helps. If not, check into your thyroid. I’m pretty sure I’ve been hypothyroid for most of my adult life, despite “normal” screening labs. It wasn’t until I read “Thyroid Power” by Richard Shames, M.D. that I went to a naturopath (not an MD, though I’m a burned-out MD myself – a pathologist) and was finally properly diagnosed. I wrote a post about it called, “All Writers are Depressed” that might interest you. It’s on my blog at http://www.storiform.com

Slow breathing shunts blood to the prefrontal cortex. I think that’s why yoga helps with creative thinking, and increases alertness for some people. Despite the hit to my uncompromisingly macho image, I do yoga regularly – at home by myself with the door shut. 😉

I’ll bet you are totally outstanding at a lot of things in addition to the three you’re willing to admit. 🙂 But I understand the inner demand for modesty. I’ve had it beaten into my DNA since childhood. It’s fear-based for me. Any time I dare think of myself as “well above average” in any way, I feel guilty, and then it seems that something humiliating happens. I doubt life always has to be like this, so I’m not giving in to superstition. I’m always looking for a better mindset or some truer perspective.

Happy New Year!

Talmage

• 7th January 2016 / 5:26 pm

Wow, now that is a comment! My fatigue comes from my Ulcerative Colitis and my lack of medication but I will definitely be checking out your suggestions 🙂 x x

4. 9th January 2016 / 5:45 pm

Preach, sister!! I *love* a good nap and have to say that I have also boasted on more than one occasion that I am a Good Sleeper lol. Thanks for this post ?

• 4th February 2016 / 5:57 pm

I swear it is a thing and until my boyfriend actually records me snoring then I am sticking with this description! 🙂 x

5. 6th February 2016 / 5:52 am

I love this post, and I can so relate! I love English/Grammar and Lit, and I love to nap, too! I can sleep just about anywhere. Lol. My husband says he’s jealous, because I can just fall asleep in any position, anywhere and just make myself comfortable for a little snooze. Haha. Thanks for sharing this. … Also, thanks so much for the follow. Hope you enjoyed “visiting.” Hope you come back soon! ?