Review: More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell

More Weird Things Customers Say in BookshopsTitle: More Weird Things Customers in Bookshops

Author: Jen Campbell

Pages: 121 Pages

The Blurb

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops was a Sunday Times bestseller, and could be found displayed on bookshop counters up and down the country. The response to the book from booksellers all over the world has been one of heartfelt agreement: it would appear that customers are saying bizarre things all over the place – from asking for books with photographs of Jesus in them, to hunting for the best horse owner’s manual that has a detailed chapter on unicorns.

Customer: I had such a crush on Captain Hook when I was younger. Do you think this means I have unresolved issues?

More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops has yet more tales from the antiquarian bookshop where Jen Campbell works, and includes a selection of ‘Weird Things…’ sent in from other booksellers across the world. The book is illustrated by the BAFTA winning Brothers McLeod.

The Review

Much like I say in my review of Jen Campbell’s Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, the sequel – More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops – is equally funny. The things that people say and comment on are hilarious. Campbell uses the same winning format; she exposes her own experiences as a bookseller and those of other people in the industry across the world.

It is charming and hilarious. There isn’t really more that I can say about it than that.

I genuinely hope that Jen Campbell continues writing more of the Weird Things series because it is such a tonic.

More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell is available now.

You can follow Jen Campbell (@aeroplanegirl) on Twitter.

16 Comments

1. 16th January 2016 / 8:36 am

Hi Lisa, I adore the kind of sketch of this cover. Thanks so much for sharing and congrats for your useful and wonderful site. Congrats <3

2. 16th January 2016 / 5:16 pm

A book that is hilarious and centered around books? I must read it! That people asking for books containing photos of Jesus–I have no words. Asking for a horse maintenance book with a detailed chapter on unicorns breaks my heart. Because there aren’t any!

• 16th January 2016 / 7:05 pm

Oh a fellow unicorn lover! You are welcome here πŸ™‚ x x

3. 16th January 2016 / 7:33 pm

Oh this looks very funny! I think it would make the perfect gift for my librarian XD

• 16th January 2016 / 7:39 pm

There are two of them and they are really funny πŸ™‚ I thoroughly recommend them x

4. 17th January 2016 / 12:05 pm

More Weird Things Customers Say In Bookshops sounds like an amusing book Lisa. I wonder if that customer is still looking for books with photographs of Jesus in them.

• 17th January 2016 / 4:57 pm

We can only hope matey! Funny book though. Both of them are πŸ™‚ x

5. 20th January 2016 / 8:20 pm

This sounds like an awesome read! I’ll have to pick it up!

6. 21st January 2016 / 4:35 am

Sounds like I’m going to enjoy it! Adding it to my TBR list. Thanks πŸ™‚

7. 31st January 2016 / 2:58 am

Thanks for following my posts.
    Alan Bennett related how a bookshop assistant replied, Is that ‘Geoffrey?’ when he asked for Chaucer’s ‘Canterbury Tales.’

• 31st January 2016 / 9:32 am

Haha that’s boss! πŸ™‚ x x

8. 1st February 2016 / 7:41 pm

Hi Lisa, I’ve got a story as a customer about a bookseller! Several years ago when I moved to a new town I went into the local bookshop to introduce myself, thinking they would be interested in a new author. I took along one of my novels. The bookseller took it and looked at it as if I’d handed over something contaminated.
    ‘What sort of name is that?’ they cried in disdain.
    ‘Er – my name,’ I replied, rather baffled. I slunk out of the shop feeling two inches high!
    (So unusual as I’ve always found booksellers lovely and helpful!)

• 1st February 2016 / 7:57 pm

Oh dear, that’s quite mean of them. There’s nothing better than having a local author offering support. Hopefully that won’t happen again πŸ™‚ x x